Rodents can cause many problems for residents and businesses in New Mexico, including damage to property and spreading diseases that can harm humans and other animals. In some cases, rodents can even cause power outages by chewing on electrical wires. Diseases that rodents carry that are harmful to humans and animals include salmonella, hantavirus, typhus fever, and trichinosis.
If you think you may have a rodent problem on your hands, it’s essential to contact a professional pest control company right away. Taking action quickly can help prevent further damage and keep your family safe from harm.
The different types of rodents common to Farmington, NM
Several different types of rodents live in New Mexico. The most common types of rodents that you may have to deal with in your Farmington home are the house mouse, the roof rat, and the Norway rat.
The house mouse has large ears, a long tail, and a relatively small body. It is typically gray and brown with a cream color on its belly. They are usually found in fields and gardens but can also reside in houses.
Another type of rodent that is common in Farmington is the roof rat. This black-colored pest sports a very long hairless tail, pointed nose, and large eyes.
Lastly, the Norway rat is another rodent typically found in the Farmington area. This brownish-gray pest is often known as the common rat. Unlike the roof rat and house mouse, the Norway rat’s nose is blunt and has small ears and a shorter tail.
Common places to find rodents
You may find rodents in various places in your home. These include:
- The kitchen – rodents are attracted to food, so the kitchen is a likely spot to find them. Check behind appliances and in cupboards for droppings or evidence of chewing.
- The basement – another common place to find rodents is in the basement. They like to nest in dark, quiet places. Look for droppings and nesting materials, such as shredded paper or fabric.
- The attic – rodents also like to nest in attics. You may hear them scratching around above you at night.
How to identify a rodent problem
If you think you have a rodent problem, there are a few things you can look for to confirm your suspicions.
- First, check for droppings. Rodents leave behind their droppings wherever they go, so if you see small, dark pellets, you likely have a mouse or rat infestation.
- Second, listen for sounds in your walls or ceiling. Rodents are nocturnal creatures, so if you hear scratching or scurrying at night, it’s another telltale sign that rodents are present.
- Finally, look for damage to food packaging or gnaw marks on wood and wires. If rodents are present in your home, they will inevitably cause damage as they try to get food and shelter.
How to choose the best rodent exterminator
There are a few things to consider when choosing the best rodent exterminator.
First, you must identify whether you have a problem with rats or mice. Mice are easier to get rid of, but if you have rats, you’ll need to find an exterminator with experience in dealing with them.
Second, you must decide whether you want an exterminator who uses poison or traps. Poison is more effective but can be dangerous if children or pets are in the home. Trapping is safer, but it’s not always as effective.
Third, you need to find an exterminator who is licensed and insured. This will protect you in case something goes wrong during the extermination process.
Fourth, you should get multiple estimates from different companies before deciding. Be sure to ask about their guarantee and what kinds of services they include in their price.
In conclusion, if you’re looking for the best rodent control in Farmington, NM, Larry’s Pest Patrol is the way to go. They’re experienced, reliable, and will get the job done right. So don’t wait any longer; give Larry’s Pest Patrol a call today.